Funding for game-changing and commercially viable R&D innovation
Innovate UK, as part of UK Research and Innovation, is running another round of their Smart Grants funding programme.
The programme provides an opportunity for UK registered organisations to apply for a share of up to £25 million to deliver disruptive research and development (R&D) innovations that can significantly impact the UK economy.
All proposals must be business-focused. Applications can come from any area of technology and be applied to any part of the economy, such as, but not exclusively:
- the arts
- design and media
Questions for this round of Smart have been updated to reflect the importance of obtaining economic benefits from public funding, and the potential for successful commercialisation, growth and exports.
To be eligible, your proposal must demonstrate (amongst other things):
- a clear game-changing, innovative, disruptive, and ambitious idea leading to new products, processes or services
- an idea that is significantly ahead of others in the field, set for rapid commercialisation
Read the competition’s full eligibility criteria and scope.
Your project should:
- demonstrate realistic, significant potential for global markets
- take customer and user needs into account to deliver desirable solutions
Projects can be across a variety of technologies, markets and research categories, including:
- feasibility projects,
- industrial research projects
- experimental development projects
Your application must include at least one micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) as the lead or a collaborative grant claiming partner.
Projects must start by 1 January 2023 and end by 31 December 2025 and follow specific rules dependent on their duration.
Competition closes: Wednesday 27 July 2022 11:00am
For more information on Smart Grants, you can register to attend an online briefing event on 3 May 2022: join at 11am