Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, has launched another round of Smart Grants funding for game-changing and commercially viable R&D innovation
Up to £25 million is available for disruptive research and development (R&D) innovations that can significantly impact the UK economy.
All proposals must be business-focused, with deliverable, realistic, adequately resourced plans to achieve return on investment, growth and market share following project completion.
Applications can come from any area of technology and be applied to any part of the economy, such as, but not exclusively:
- the arts
- design and media
Questions for this round of Smart reflect the importance of obtaining economic benefits from public funding, and the potential for successful commercialisation, growth, and exports.
To be in scope, your proposal must demonstrate (amongst other things):
- a game-changing, innovative, and disruptive idea that will lead to new products, processes or services
- an idea that is significantly ahead of others in the field, set for rapid commercialisation
- clear potential to positively impact the UK’s position, productivity and competitiveness within the global economy
Read the competition’s full eligibility criteria and scope.
Projects can be across a variety of technologies, markets and research categories, including:
- feasibility projects,
- industrial research projects
- experimental development projects
Your application must include at least one micro, small or medium-sized enterprise (SME) as the lead or a collaborative grant claiming partner.
Projects must start by 1 July 2023 and end by 30 June 2026, and follow specific rules dependent on their duration.
Competition closes: Wednesday 18 January 2023 at 11am.
For more information on Smart Grants, register to attend an online briefing event on 3 November 2022